Monday, April 19, 2010

Abstract Expressionism in Photography

Today in Visual Culture, Silvia said something that really bothered me.  She was giving a talk about American Abstract Expressionism and how the movement rejects photography as an art-form because it is an accurate portrayal of reality.  In most cases this is so.  After all, the portrayal of reality is the ORIGINAL intent of photography, but just because a particular medium was created for a certain purpose does not mean that it cannot be used in different ways.

As I am not very good with words, here are some pictures to demonstrate my point:

Jackson Pollack's Blue Poles NGA

Col Ellis Mimosa Forest II Artist's Personal Collection

1 comment:

  1. I wish you had made this comment in class. You are right, there is a rich history of abstraction in photography, but I what I was saying is that our cultural expectation of the medium is that it is representational - the mechanics/technology of it is embedded with the intention of representing. Bring it up in class if you want to discuss it further, surely others might feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete